TS January Book of the Month

Discussion in 'General' started by Mama_Kim, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Mama_Kim

Mama_Kim Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Jan 24 2008, 11:36 PM) [snapback]588662[/snapback]
    I TOTALLY agree.
    I think we definitely owe her full deciding privileges for the next month's book!

One of the thoughts that kept going through my head while reading this (and acknowledging what a challenge it must have been from her spiritual perspective) was: would those of us 'non-believers' return the favor with such grace/respect? I tried imagining myself reading a similar argument from a 'believers' viewpoint. I don't think I could do it respectfully. ESPECIALLY if everyone I was 'discussing' it with was pretty much already aligned with said viewpoint.

(this is not in ANY way a subtle hint to make our next book as 'heavy' as this one was). ;)

LOL, you know I'd have you all reading some RnR bio, don't you? :laughing:

But thanks, you all are too much! :love0028:

2. Marieber

Marieber Well-Known Member

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Jan 25 2008, 07:31 AM) [snapback]588773[/snapback]
    LOL, you know I'd have you all reading some RnR bio, don't you? :laughing:

Okay by me...

3. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I've got to be honest.....I read a couple of pages of this book and decided it wasn't for me.....so that's why I have been absent from the discussion!

4. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(moski @ Jan 25 2008, 01:09 PM) [snapback]589373[/snapback]
    I've got to be honest.....I read a couple of pages of this book and decided it wasn't for me.....so that's why I have been absent from the discussion!

Wise decision! :laughing:

5. cellomom

cellomom Well-Known Member

I'm still fighting with it - I've been reading this thread avidly, but since I'm behind in the reading, haven't had anything to add. I've got myself to page 100, but I'd really rather be reading some of the other books on my nightstand. (I have a sick compulsion to finish everything I start, unfortunately, so I can't toss it aside.)

-Karen

6. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Jan 24 2008, 10:36 PM) [snapback]588662[/snapback]
    I TOTALLY agree.
    I think we definitely owe her full deciding privileges for the next month's book!

One of the thoughts that kept going through my head while reading this (and acknowledging what a challenge it must have been from her spiritual perspective) was: would those of us 'non-believers' return the favor with such grace/respect? I tried imagining myself reading a similar argument from a 'believers' viewpoint. I don't think I could do it respectfully. ESPECIALLY if everyone I was 'discussing' it with was pretty much already aligned with said viewpoint.

(this is not in ANY way a subtle hint to make our next book as 'heavy' as this one was). ;)

I also wonder if I could stifle my annoyance if I was reading a book which seemed condescending toward ideas that I hold dear. :bow2: Kim.

But I don't agree that everyone was aligned with Hitchens in this thread. While I agree that the majority agreed with his basic premise (that religion is, either through manipulation of believers or by root cause-he never really says which definitively- is responsible for much of the conflict in the world), I think we were divided about how he presented his argument, and at least two of us (including me) felt that his method was seriously flawed, and his tone was unnecessarily provocative and repellent to many. I think both atheists and believers can agree that religion has been used to justify horrors for thousands of years- so that part of his argument might not have divided his readers. It was the tone, and the sidetracking into Bible bashing , as well as his misunderstanding of what makes believers, Believers, which turns people off, IMO.

QUOTE(cellomom @ Jan 25 2008, 01:05 PM) [snapback]589481[/snapback]
    I'm still fighting with it - I've been reading this thread avidly, but since I'm behind in the reading, haven't had anything to add. I've got myself to page 100, but I'd really rather be reading some of the other books on my nightstand. (I have a sick compulsion to finish everything I start, unfortunately, so I can't toss it aside.)

-Karen

If you have a sick compulsion', then at least you have company! I am like that and I know of several others in Book Club who've confessed to the same sickness! :laughing: :drinks:

7. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cellomom @ Jan 25 2008, 11:05 AM) [snapback]589481[/snapback]

-Karen

LOL. When my mother is reading a book and she doesn't like the author's argument/presentation, loses interest in plot/characters, etc. she will actually go to the last two chapters and read the end of the book to see how it ends before making a decision on whether to read the rest of it. This drives me NUTS b/c how could you do that? Who would actually go back and read the middle after finding out the end (especially in fiction). She just can't stand not knowing how it ends. I feel that way about a lot of books too, but there's something so very sacrilege about skipping to the last two chapters.

QUOTE(Nifty @ Jan 25 2008, 01:00 PM) [snapback]589745[/snapback]
    I also wonder if I could stifle my annoyance if I was reading a book which seemed condescending toward ideas that I hold dear. :bow2: Kim.

But I don't agree that everyone was aligned with Hitchens in this thread.

I agree. I was just pointing out that it was a 'non believer' type book and the majority of folks participating in the discussion were already on that bandwagon heading INTO the book. I'm not sure anyone is that thrilled with him (or the book) after the fact.

8. Mama_Kim

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Jan 25 2008, 04:10 PM) [snapback]589771[/snapback]
    LOL. When my mother is reading a book and she doesn't like the author's argument/presentation, loses interest in plot/characters, etc. she will actually go to the last two chapters and read the end of the book to see how it ends before making a decision on whether to read the rest of it. This drives me NUTS b/c how could you do that? Who would actually go back and read the middle after finding out the end (especially in fiction). She just can't stand not knowing how it ends. I feel that way about a lot of books too, but there's something so very sacrilege about skipping to the last two chapters.
    I agree. I was just pointing out that it was a 'non believer' type book and the majority of folks participating in the discussion were already on that bandwagon heading INTO the book. I'm not sure anyone is that thrilled with him (or the book) after the fact.

I could never do that either. I've never been a "skip ahead and read the ending" sort. And I share the sick compulsion to finish a book at all costs. (I did admit to basically just skimming the last two chapters in this book, though. Not a thorough read by any means.)

9. niftywriter

niftywriter Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Jan 25 2008, 03:10 PM) [snapback]589771[/snapback]

Sorry, my mistake, Sweetpea. I see what you mean, now!

10. SweetpeaG

QUOTE(MamaKim @ Jan 25 2008, 01:21 PM) [snapback]589788[/snapback]
    I could never do that either. I've never been a "skip ahead and read the ending" sort. And I share the sick compulsion to finish a book at all costs. (I did admit to basically just skimming the last two chapters in this book, though. Not a thorough read by any means.)

Skimming the last two chapters b/c you'd experienced enough of the book's argument is WAY different than 'cheating' and going from page 75 to the last two chapters.

Renée, it's all good. I don't think I was being very clear.

11. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Hi there! I'm on of those who is behind in reading, (I'm about 1/3 through) and I'm agreeing with most of you here on the book. While I agree and have learned a lot "I didn't know that" things from the book, I am having a problem with the condescending tone. I am one who does not believe religion is necessarily bad, but can be used for bad purposes, just like a number of other things too.

12. SweetpeaG

QUOTE(Snittens @ Jan 26 2008, 05:30 PM) [snapback]591196[/snapback]
    Hi there! I'm on of those who is behind in reading, (I'm about 1/3 through) and I'm agreeing with most of you here on the book. While I agree and have learned a lot "I didn't know that" things from the book, I am having a problem with the condescending tone. I am one who does not believe religion is necessarily bad, but can be used for bad purposes, just like a number of other things too.

I'm with you, Kelly. I hit a brick wall with 100 pages to go. I'll finish it, but I don't know if that will happen during the month of January. It's rare that I procrastinate a book with excuses like housekeeping and cooking....it's usually the other way around!

13. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

QUOTE(cellomom @ Jan 25 2008, 01:05 PM) [snapback]589481[/snapback]

-Karen

I'm another compulsive one, but--

QUOTE(SweetpeaG @ Jan 26 2008, 10:34 PM) [snapback]591445[/snapback]
    I'm with you, Kelly. I hit a brick wall with 100 pages to go. I'll finish it, but I don't know if that will happen during the month of January. It's rare that I procrastinate a book with excuses like housekeeping and cooking....it's usually the other way around!

I have realized that as I get older and have less time to read (in the sense of being busy and in the sense of having used up part of my life), if I keep finding excuses not to read a book, I take that as a sign and forgive myself and move on. If I really want to know what happened, I'll do like Kim mentioned and skim to the end. Otherwise, I just put it down. It took me a loooong time to get to where I could do this. (Where's the "in recovery" smiley?)