28 weeks pregnant with twins! We’re officially in the third trimester, and hurrying down the home stretch. The coming weeks are going to be full of challenges, but also fantastic moments that you can look forward to.
Read on to find out what you’re going to face this week, and how it’s going to affect you.
A single fetus at 28 weeks
See 27 weeks pregnant with twins
See 29 weeks pregnant with twins
Your Twin Babies at 28 Weeks Pregnant
Your babies probably won’t be getting much longer from now on. Their skeletons are basically fully developed and slowly getting harder.
Instead, they’re going to be putting on the weight, filling in subdermal fat layers under the skin, to give them that familiar chubby baby look we all know and love.
Expect your twins to be around 14 or 15 inches long, but this week, they’ll have put on another couple of ounces, weighing around 2.2 pounds, or the size of an eggplant!
Twin Pregnancy Symptoms at 28 Weeks
Once they hit this part of their twin pregnancy, the thing that most women tend to face is trouble sleeping, including randomly waking up in the middle of the night, and not being able to get back to sleep.
Whilst it might be frustrating, the best thing to do in the meantime is something relaxing. Grab a good book and cuddle up on the couch, make yourself a cup of tea, or listen to some light music and do some breathing exercises.
You’re also still going to be dealing with other symptoms, including:
- All over aching: Your pregnancy is starting to really hammer your body, with all the extra weight you’re carrying, as well as the effect your hormones are having on you. The advice for dealing with this is always the same as it’s ever been. Relax and stretch, try breathing exercises or yoga, light exercise like swimming or walking, or even a massage.
- Lack of breath: As your twins keep getting bigger, there’s going to be less and less space in your abdomen for you. Don’t push yourself, and taking a break every now and then isn’t a bad idea.
- Leaking boobs: Your boobs are pretty much ready for your coming babies already, so don’t be surprised if you get the occasional spot of leakage. And don’t worry if it’s pretty yellow, that’s colostrum, and it’s completely normal.
- Braxton Hicks contractions: These are going to keep getting stronger for the next few weeks. As long as they’re only occasional, and stop if you move about, they’re nothing to worry about. If they last a long time, or keep coming back, then contact your doctor.
- Lack of sleep: We mentioned this earlier, but it bears repeating. You might be having serious trouble sleeping, and it could get worse over the next few weeks. There’s so many reasons why, but the big obvious ones are hormones, (again) and nerves.
28 Weeks Ultrasound Twins
You might be having a 28 week pregnancy scan this week, but it’s not a guarantee. If you’ve had a more complicated pregnancy, or if you’re having identical twins, your doctor might be more likely to scan you, just to make sure that everything’s going on fine.
Don’t worry if you aren’t having a scan. That’s a good thing. No news is good news, right?
If you are having a scan, don’t expect anything that you haven’t already experienced. It’s just a regular check up, to make sure everything is fine with your twins.
Things to Do This Week for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Talk to your doctor about upcoming scans, and book them in. You should be having a 30 week scan, at the very least.
- Start a kick count, to monitor your twin’s progress. Try and do it at the same time each day, because your twins will have their own routine, and see how long it takes to count 10 kicks.
Worth Buying Now
Disclosure: These links are affiliate links meaning we earn a small commission for any qualifying purchases.
Let’s talk about some very specific twin products you should consider.
- Soon you’ll have a cuteness overload on your hands. These twin onesies will add even more cuteness.
- Why not set up your Baby Registry?
- The TwinGo carrier is the perfect way to wear your twins – this will make going anywhere with newborn twins a lot easier.
- Thought much about how you can breastfeed twins at the same time? With the Twin Z Pillow you can comfortably feed two at once.
We asked the TwinStuff Community what their Must Have products were during the Third Trimester:
- Vitamin E oil
- Belly wedge
- Panty liners
- Compression socks
- Full body pregnancy pillow
- Maternity belt
- Antacid chewable tablets
- Nipple balm
Are you 28 Weeks Pregnant with Twins?
Your third trimester has started. Woo! It’s going to get tougher in the next few weeks, but we’re here with you all the way.
If you’ve got any questions or queries, keep checking in with us. We’re going to take you all the way to delivery.
If you ever find anything that we haven’t covered, feel free to drop it in the comments below and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can! How do you feel at 28 weeks pregnant with twins?
Tired! The longest I last is 30 mins- then I crash!!
Round ligament pain! Can my body really stretch out any more?