10 Weeks Pregnant with Twins: Ultrasound, Symptoms, and More
Last Updated on
Ten weeks in and wondering what to expect?
Week ten is where it’s normal for women to start showing. Of course, considering you’re probably having twins if you’re here with us, you might have started showing even earlier.
Either way, this week is a good week to look back at where we’ve come from, and look at where we’re going. After all, you’re 10 weeks pregnant with twins! How exciting is that!
A single fetus at 10 weeks
Your Twin Babies at 10 Weeks Pregnant
Your babies have only got a little bit longer, growing from an inch in week 9, to around an inch and a quarter this week. But their weight has doubled, to 0.14 ounces. (We told you they’d grow fast.)
Your babies are in the fetal period now, or the time when they’ve finished developing all the essential organs, and it’s time to start growing.
They’re moving around a whole lot still, and now their limbs can bend, with hands that move at the wrist, and they might even have long and flexible enough legs that they can bring their feet together in front of them.
This is because your babies have started growing bones and cartilage. Under the gums, the same process is also forming teeth, ready for them to come through in around a year’s time.
If you could get in close, you’d also see the most adorable things forming, like tiny little finger and toenails, as well as light hair growth.
If you’re having a boy, they’ve also started producing testosterone already, which will already be making changes to their body.
Twin Pregnancy Symptoms at 10 Weeks
You’re still in the period where pregnancy hormones are high and your body is making changes, so don’t expect this wild ride to end yet. On the upside, by the time you hit week 12, most of the symptoms below will have calmed right down, if not abated completely.
- Morning sickness: Yeah. You can still be suffering from morning sickness at week 10. Just keep following our guide, and you’ll make it through.
- Ligament aches and pains: Your abdomen is going to be making some changes to accommodate your growing babies, and your uterus is still stretching. Whilst some moms are lucky enough to not have to deal with this, others, especially first time moms, can find this sensation, called ’round ligament pain,’ well, painful. If it’s causing you problems, then make sure you talk to your doctor about what you can do.
- Fatigue: With all the changes ravaging through your body, it’s only natural to be tired. Get as much rest as you can, and take it easy. You’re pregnant with twins. You deserve it.
- Mood swings: With hormones at peak levels, your emotions can be a see-saw. Just make sure you warn your friends and family if you’re having a bad day.
- Vaginal discharge: This is completely normal, if a little bit nasty. It’s a natural process, which your body uses to flush bacteria out of your system, and it’s caused by all the estrogen in your body, coupled with a higher blood flow to the area.
- More and more visible veins: You’ve got more blood in your body than you’ve ever had before, so it’s only natural that your veins get more prominent.
10 Weeks Ultrasound Twins
We’re in the middle of the first and second prenatal scans, so a 10 week ultrasound isn’t usual, but it can happen. Expect the same sort of things that you’d see at a primary prenatal scan.
Things to Do This Week for a Healthy Pregnancy
- The critical period of pregnancy is over. The first eight to ten weeks are the time when your developing babies are most vulnerable to outside influences, stress and disease, so you can relax a little. If your babies are fine by now, they’re probably going to be fine all the way along.
- If you’re getting an NT (nuchal translucency) scan for your babies to check for things like Down’s syndrome, now is the time it needs to get done, so make sure you talk to your healthcare provider about options and when it needs to be done.
- You might have got a little bigger, and your body is changing, so now’s the time to indulge yourself and go out shopping. Don’t go crazy, because there’s much bigger changes to come, but there’s absolutely nothing wrong with buying yourself a few comfy essentials to wear around the house, and one or two things to treat yourself. Pick up some pregnancy shoes to prepare for the swelling to come.
- On the subject of money, it’s good to sit back and work out your finances. Kids are expensive. Twins doubly so. If you haven’t started saving already, now is an excellent time to think about putting away a little bit of money.
Worth Buying Now
- On the topic of budgeting, this book is a good read
- This tea is delicious and can help with your morning sickness
- Is your skin starting to stretch? This cream is a Godsend.
- Why not set up your Baby Registry?
'Must Haves' in Trimester 1
Are You 10 Weeks Pregnant with Twins?
Breathe easy, moms to be. The most dangerous period of your pregnancy is over, so relax.
You’ve come so far, so quickly, and pretty soon, you’ll be in the second trimester.
You’re also going to start noticing major changes with your own body soon, so stick with us and keep reading our articles, so you know what to expect.
As always, if you’ve got any questions we haven’t already answered, then make sure you drop them in our comments. I’m sure someone in our community has faced what you’re going through, even if we haven’t! How do you feel at 10 weeks pregnant with twins?