What Are the Chances of Having Twins Twice?
What are the chances of having twins?
The birth rate for twins is only going up, rising by as much as 76% in the last 30 years. That means that your chance of having twins in the USA is as high as 3 in 100 births.
So what are the chances of having twins twice?
Obviously, the chance of having two sets of twins is pretty rare, but it’s not as rare as you might think.
If you’re looking for two sets of twins of any type, the chance of that is around 1 in 3,000, which is the same chance as getting struck by lightning during your life!
A set of identical twins and fraternal twins is only around 1 in 10,000, or the same odds that you’re going to fall off your toilet and end up in hospital!
Having two sets of identical twins is pretty damn unlikely, with only 1 chance in 70,000.
Bear in mind that if you’ve already got one set of twins, you might actually be more likely to have a second set, because of all of the things that increase your chances of twin births. Things like:
- Having already been pregnant before. Women who have already had a baby, including women who have already had twins, are more likely to have twins in the future!
- Getting older. Women over the age of around 35 have more twins in general, because in the few years before you hit peri-menopause, your ovaries start to release more than one egg at a time.
- Having some sort of fertility treatment, like IVF or fertility drugs. These sort of things can stimulate your body to produce multiple eggs over and over.
- Coming from a family with twins in it. There’s some sort of genetic component to twins, and if twins run in your family, then you’re more likely to have them. This also means that if you’ve had twins once, they might run in your family and you might have them again!
- Being on the pill, or just coming off of the pill. Apparently, the hormonal changes that the pill causes in women can increase their chances of having twins.
- Being taller or heavier than average. Taller and heavier women have a greater than normal chance of having twins. But remember to stay healthy!
- Make sure your partner has a lot of zinc in his diet. Zinc contributes to healthy sperm, and the healthier your partner’s sperm, the more you have of chance of conceiving twins!
Twin babies are getting more and more common, so if you have one set of twins and you’re going for another, you might just get lucky!
How do you think you would cope with two sets of twins? Do you know anyone who actually has two sets of twins? Or maybe you’re one of the incredibly fortunate women who beat the odds and has an awesome foursome! Let us know in the comments below!