You’re 5 weeks pregnant with twins! First off, congratulations! You probably haven’t known you’re pregnant with twins long, so there’s guaranteed to be a lot on your mind. That’s why we’re here to help.
A single embryo at 5 weeks
Keep reading to find out exactly what to expect at this early stage, and to see the complete twin pregnancy guide, click here.
Your twin babies at 5 weeks pregnant
You’re still early in your pregnancy, and your babies growth reflects that. Right now, they’re tiny—around 0.13 inches from the top of their heads to the bottom of their little bottoms.
In general terms, they’re about the size of an apple or sesame seed. Yes. That tiny. But in the coming weeks, they’re going to grow astonishingly. Expect that size to double by week 6!
Even though they’re just tiny embryos, your babies organs and nervous systems are starting to develop, including the heart and blood vessels. Pretty soon, they’re going to have their first heartbeat too!
Twin pregnancy symptoms at 5 weeks
You’re still incredibly early in your pregnancy. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t start having early symptoms. This is because the hormonal changes that look after your baby and ensure that your body is ready for pregnancy have already begun, and significant changes are happening, even if you can’t detect them yet!
By your fifth week, you might have experienced…
- Morning sickness is the apparent symptom that so many women suffer from. The name is a misnomer. Just because it’s called morning sickness doesn’t mean you have to have it in the morning, and you might not even be sick. You could have general feelings of nausea all day. With twins, morning sickness can hit you a lot harder, but there are a lot of tips and strategies you can use to reduce the impact.
- Tender breasts: This could be the symptom that tips you off to the face that you’re pregnant. If you have tender, painful, and even slightly larger swollen breasts, it can be a big sign of twins.
- Drowsiness and fatigue: Your body is using far more energy than it’s used to, making the necessary changes, so it’s normal to feel tired. Unfortunately, there’s not much you can do about this except eat healthily and get as much rest as possible.
- Abdominal aching or cramps: Your uterus might already be expanding to make space for your swiftly growing babies, so an aching is normal. If it’s debilitating, stops you from doing what you need to do, or is incredibly painful, it might be worth booking to see your doctor.
- Needing to pee more: Your kidneys are going to expand as you go through your pregnancy to help filter out all the extra fluid that you’re going to have in your system. Unfortunately, that means you’ll need to pee a lot more. Sorry about that.
5 Weeks Ultrasound Twins
While any fetus at 5 weeks is still tiny, ultrasounds can still find the gestational sacs in the uterus, meaning it’s possible to find out you have twins this early!
Things to do this week for a healthy pregnancy
- Start eating healthy: The earlier you can do this, the better. And establishing a healthy eating pattern will give your body the nutrients it needs, minimizing unexpected cravings and nausea.
- Start a pregnancy journal: A pregnancy journal is a massive help when looking after yourself and your babies. After all, I know how spotty my memory can be at times, and being able to go back and find out exactly how you felt on a particular day and how you’re changing, is enormous, especially if your doctor needs to know something.
- Slow down on highly strenuous exercise: You’re pregnant. Anything particularly energetic always runs the risk of miscarriage. So please slow down and take it steady.
Worth Buying Now
Disclosure: These links are affiliate links meaning we earn a small commission for any qualifying purchases.
- As mentioned above, now is the time to start a journal. This is our favorite.
- Now is when you want to read about what to expect. This twins book is excellent.
- Your skin will undergo many changes over the next few months. This cream will keep you moisturized.
- Why not set up your Baby Registry?
We asked the TwinStuff Community what their Must Have products were during the first Trimester:
- Nausea and tummy balm
- Ginger ale
- Pregnancy Journal
- Anti-nausea essential oil
- First-time pregnancy mom guide
- Pregnancy tea
- Decaf coffee
- Fish oil tablets
- Maternity wristband for morning sickness support
Are you 5 weeks pregnant with twins?
It’s still early days, and you’ve got all the amazing (and not-so-amazing) changes and experiences. So take this time to prepare yourself for the upcoming weeks and months.
As you go through your pregnancy, keep checking back in here. We’ve got a series of articles about what you can expect, plus an amazing community of people here to support you and answer any questions you might have.
All you have to do is leave a comment below, and we’ll be sure to get back to you! How do you feel about being 5 weeks pregnant with twins?