13 Weeks Pregnant with Twins: Ultrasound, Symptoms, and More
Last Updated on
13 weeks pregnant with twins already! It’s amazing that we’ve come so far, and we’re already in the second trimester. Hopefully you’re doing well, and the first trimester didn’t hit you that hard.
Thankfully, things are going to be looking up for the next few weeks. You’re a third of the way through your pregnancy, so lets find out what’s happening with your babies right now.
A single fetus at 13 weeks
Your Twin Babies at 13 Weeks Pregnant
This far along, your babies are growing fast. A singleton would be around the size of a lemon or nectarine right now, almost 3 inches long and close to an ounce in weight. Generally around 0.8 ounces.
Twins are normally a little smaller than that, but not by much. And that doesn’t change the fact that they’re going to be pretty much fully developed now in terms of internal organs, facial features, and even hair and teeth!
In terms of size, there’s another major thing that’s happened. Their head is now only a third of their body by size, rather than the half and half that it was a week or two ago.
Incredibly, your babies also have fingerprints by now! And because you’re having twins, they’re going to have different fingerprints, too! This is because our fingerprints are mostly determined by our fingers being pressed against the interior wall of the uterus when they’re still soft and tiny.
With all the increased mobility, your babies are able to touch their own faces now, and if they’re in the same sac, each other. You might see your babies putting their thumbs in their mouths now.
This week is also the week where your baby starts to grow their vocal chords, that first step towards crying all night. And telling you they love you.
Twin Pregnancy Symptoms at 13 Weeks
That’s not to say that the second trimester doesn’t come with its own challenges. But that they’re going to pale in comparison compared to what you’ve already dealt with. You’ve got this, girls!
- More visible veins: With the increased blood flow needs of your babies, and their placentas developing nicely, you’re going to notice more veins under your skin, and they’re going to look darker and even more blue.
- More energy: Supposedly, the second trimester is the one where you’ll feel the best. I mean, it makes sense, because your body has finished the changes it needs to accommodate a baby or two, and they’re still tiny enough to carry without issue. So you could start feeling pretty great right about now.
- Higher sex drive: If you find yourself feeling up for a bit of naughtiness in the coming weeks, then feel free to indulge. Especially if sex has been off the menu for a few weeks. It’s normal to keep spotting after sex for the next few weeks, so don’t worry if you see a little bit of blood. It’s only something to worry about if it’s as heavy as a period.
13 Weeks Ultrasound Twins
Twins are normally visible at the 12th or 13th week scan, but the sex of your babies might not be. Whilst it’s possible that you can tell the sex of a fetus at this age, it’s unlikely, so you’re probably going to have to wait until around the 20th week.
So if you’re itching to find out what you’re having, we’re sorry. You’re gonna have to wait a little bit longer.
Things to Do This Week for a Healthy Pregnancy
You’re probably going to start feeling pretty great soon, especially compared to how you have felt the last few weeks. So make sure you take advantage of it, and get as much done as you can!
- If you haven’t already, let your boss know that you’re pregnant. The earlier you do this, the better, as it allows you and them to start making preparations.
- If you’ve let the fitness slack, now’s a great time to get back into it. With all the energy you’re going to have, starting a light exercise routine can be a huge boost to how you’re feeling. Try out swimming, gentle yoga or pilates, or some breathing and zen exercises.
- Make sure you keep looking after yourself correctly. If you’ve been feeling pretty bad and suddenly feel amazing again, it’s easy to let yourself get a bit slack. So keep eating healthy and getting as much rest as you can.
- A lot of women say that their sex drive increases in the second trimester. I mean, it’s understandable. You’ve been feeling pretty crappy these past few weeks, and your hormones are all over the place. So take advantage!
Worth Buying Now
Disclosure: These links are affiliate links meaning we earn a small commission for any qualifying purchases.
If they haven’t already, your veins will soon be under a lot of extra pressure. To avoid and minimize varicose veins and swelling in the ankles and feet, it’s a great idea to wear compression socks. And don’t worry, they don’t all look terrible. These look nice and come highly recommended.
Morning sickness lingering? This tea can help.
Why not set up your Baby Registry?
'Must Haves' in Trimester 2
Don’t leave your baby shopping too late. Check out our newborn twins shopping list.
Are You 13 Weeks Pregnant with Twins?
You’ve probably had your first major scans by now, so you’ll have seen your babies and heard their heartbeats. Couple that with the increase in energy and lack of horrific symptoms, and you should be feeling pretty amazing right now.
So treat yourself, and enjoy the next few days. You’ve earned it. We’ll see you next week, where we’ll be going into the ‘honeymoon phase’ of your pregnancy. See you there! How do you feel at 13 weeks pregnant with twins?