You’re 16 weeks pregnant with twins already! Week 16 can be really exciting for a lot of moms to be. There’s so much that could happen this week, that it’s amazing you’ll find time to pack it all in.
Read on to find out what’s going to occur this week, and how you’re going to love it!
A single fetus at 16 weeks
Your Twin Babies at 16 Weeks Pregnant
Your babies are getting so much bigger all the time. 16 weeks in, your babies are going to be around 3.5 ounces in weight, and around four and a half inches long, about the size of an avocado!
to receive FREE weekly twin pregnancy updates direct in Facebook Messenger.
Your babies are more aware of the world than ever, too. For starters, their eyes will have started working by now, moving under their eyelids and picking up on light. They’re actually sensitive enough that moving into areas of bright light, or say, shining a torch against your belly, can cause them to move and react to it!
It’s not just sight that’s kicking into high gear either. The tiny little bones that allow us to hear have finally fully grown, so your babies can hear the outside world in faint echoes, and definitely hear your voice.
If you’ve ever wondered how your babies already know your voice when they’re born, there’s your reason. Studies also show that babies can hear songs inside the womb, and they’ll actually recognise the very same song once they’re born, so when you’re singing in the shower, pick your songs with care!
Twin Pregnancy Symptoms at 16 Weeks
Week 16 is a great week for most women, with a bunch of good symptoms now that your body is finally calming down. Even the bad symptoms are relatively minor, too. Here’s what you’ll be facing this week:
- Bigger boobs: Your boobs are getting bigger, and you might have even had to step up to a bigger bra. Don’t be fooled though. Your breasts won’t stop making the changes you need for breastfeeding until about the 24th week.
- Backache: Your growing uterus, increased weight and pressure your nerves can cause backaches, as can hormonal changes. Make some time for light exercise, stretch a little bit, and try not to stay in one place for long periods of time. So if you work in an office, get up every so often, even just to stretch.
- Constipation: Increased pressure on your intestines, coupled with hormones, can cause bathroom time to get a little difficult. Make sure to keep hydrated, and if it gets bad, talk to your doctor.
- Sensitive or itching eyes: Aren’t pregnancy hormones fun! This probably won’t be bad enough to need treatment, but if you get itchy or dry eyes, now you know why. Just be careful if you wear contact lenses or regularly use eye drops
- Forgetfulness: It’s called pregnancy brain, and although your brain doesn’t change during pregnancy, it’s a completely recognised thing. Notebooks and your smartphone will soon be your best friend.
- The pregnancy glow: Get used to people telling you you’re looking radiant, with glowing skin and shiny, healthy looking hair.
16 Weeks Ultrasound Twins
You’re probably getting close to your monthly prenatal visit, so expect the standard array of tests. But you can also expect to hear your twin’s heartbeats this time if you haven’t already, because they’re guaranteed to have finally started beating of their own accord!
You should be looking forward to this scan, though. If everything shows up normal here, your chances of miscarriage go way down. To literally 1% with singletons, and only a few percent with twins. And that’s awesome!
Things to Do This Week for a Healthy Pregnancy
Worth Buying Now
- How’s your sleep? If you’re not getting the best sleep possible, you should consider getting a pregnancy body pillow. Not only can they help now and in the weeks to come, but they can be used for years.
- Veins bulging? This cream can help to minimise varicose veins.
- Miss having the occasional cocktail? These mocktail recipes will make your day!
- Why not set up your Baby Registry?
'Must Haves' in Trimester 2
We asked the TwinStuff Community what their Must Have products were during the second Trimester:
Don’t leave your baby shopping to the last minute. Check out our newborn twins checklist.
Are You 16 Weeks Pregnant with Twins?
We’re getting there, girls! Almost at the halfway mark, and hopefully things are going well for you.
Like we said, this week should be a good one, but that doesn’t mean we don’t need a little bit of help sometimes. If you’ve got any questions, or just want a chat, feel free to comment below! How do you feel at 16 weeks pregnant with twins?