22 weeks pregnant with twins can bring a big change. You’re growing and showing so much faster now that it’s almost crazy. But in terms of how you’re feeling, it should be pretty good.
After all, you should be having your mid pregnancy scan soon, if you haven’t already had it. Once you’ve hit that, you should have a fair idea about how your pregnancy is going to go, whether there’s going to be any real issues during it, and finally, when you should be due!
A single fetus at 22 weeks
See 21 weeks pregnant with twins
See 23 weeks pregnant with twins
Your Twin Babies at 22 Weeks Pregnant
At 22 weeks, normally babies hit a really important milestone. One pound in weight! That’s crazy, especially considering just six weeks ago they were less than a quarter of that!
They’re also getting bigger to go along with this weight. They’re around eleven inches long now, or to put it another way, they’re about the size of a coconut. They don’t weigh quite that much yet, though. Instead, pick up a full bag of sugar. That’s how heavy each one might be.
Of course, considering that you’re carrying twins, expect them to both be a little bit smaller than this. But not by much! They’ll hit this milestone soon enough, don’t you worry.
This week, your little ones are working on their senses again, with the senses of sight and hearing getting much more powerful.
Whilst its fair to say that there’s not much to see all comfortable in the womb, there’s certainly a lot to hear, and your babies will be accompanied day and night by the sounds of your heart beating, blood pumping around your body, and your voice. So talk away!
Your babies will also be working on their grip strength, just in case you wanted a pair of little tiny strongmen when you pop. They’ve already been moving around in your womb, but right now, they’ll be gripping at everything they can. Themselves, the walls around them. Even their umbilical cords.
Twin Pregnancy Symptoms at 22 Weeks
- Stretch marks: You’re still growing, and you’ll probably still be getting stretch marks as you grow for the rest of your pregnancy. As a mom of twins to be, expect your stretch marks to be worse than many singleton moms, but as there’s nothing you can do, you’re just going to have to accept it as a price for your beautiful twins.
- Higher sex drive: Your hormones are up, which can turn your mind to more intimate time with your partner. Enjoy it while it lasts!
- Belly button problems: You might wake up one morning to find out your innie belly button has turned into an outie. This is literally just because your belly is expanding, and it’ll go back to the way it was, so don’t worry about it!
- Vaginal discharge: More blood flow and your body’s own protective measures mean that you might experience more vaginal discharge down there.
- Swollen limbs: You’re carrying more fluids, both blood and other, with every passing week, so a little bit of swollen hands and feet is normal. If it doesn’t go down, or you swell up particularly fast, it’s a cause for alarm, however, so let your doctor know if this happens.
- Increased hair growth: Because of all the growth hormones and nutrients flowing through your body, you might find that your hair grows much faster than usual, and comes out thick and lustrous. If people start giving you random compliments, you know why!
- Shortness of breath: Your babies are crowding out all the space in your abdomen, so sometimes it can be hard to get a full, deep belly breath. If you feel light headed or slightly woozy, then take a break and sit down. Don’t stand near any cliffs!
22 Weeks Ultrasound Twins
You might not believe it, but your babies already sleep as much as a newborn whilst they’re in the womb.
You’ll find they sleep in 12 to 14 hour cycles, so if you go for a scan and don’t see any movement, they could just be sleepy.
Things to Do This Week for a Healthy Pregnancy
- Are you feeling the odd contraction? Don’t worry. As long as they’re not lasting too long, then you’re just having Braxton Hicks contractions, and they’re completely normal.
- If you’re having to cut your hair, finger and toenails more often, that’s something a lot of women face. But you’ll also find that your hair and finger nails look so much better. So if you go for the natural look, prepare to look even better in the next few weeks.
- You might have noticed that your nipples are bigger and darker, which might strike you as weird. Even weirder, you might have noticed that there’s little lumps and bumps around your nipple, on the areola, (that dark part around then nipple itself.) This is completely normal, and a part of your bodies natural defence system. So don’t concern yourself with this.
Worth Buying Now
Disclosure: These links are affiliate links meaning we earn a small commission for any qualifying purchases.
Let’s talk basics. Here are a few of the must have newborn items:
- Baby wipes. You know it’s going to get messy!
- Why not set up your Baby Registry?
- Also for the mess – you will go through a lot of these cotton balls
- If you don’t already, it’s recommended having a basic first aid kit at home. This one is designed specifically for babies
We asked the TwinStuff Community what their Must Have products were during the second Trimester:
- Belly cream
- Elastic pants waist extenders
- Bra extenders
- Belly belt
- Pregnancy pajamas
- Pain heat wrap
- Muscle pain soothing balm
- Car seat support
- Pregnancy novelty t-shirts 🙂
Are You 22 Weeks Pregnant with Twins?
The big day is getting closer and closer, ladies. Remember, if you’ve got any questions, or just need a chat and some reassurance, then drop us a comment. How do you feel at 22 weeks pregnant with twins?